Friday, August 06, 2010

Burger King Fail

So I had an interesting consumer moment in Burger King on O’Connell St today. Basically I went in wanting a burger but nothing else because frankly although Burger King burgers are quite good I find their fries fairly sub-standard and who wants watered-down coke that will only rot your teeth and make you more thirsty? Anyway, a nearby sign advertising a double cheeseburger with small fries and small carbonated beverage for €3.50 caught my attention which inspired me to order a double cheeseburger on its own without the extras. When the cashier (let’s call her Carol) attempted to commit what can only be described as extortion I thanked my lucky stars because inconsistencies like this are what I live for! What follows is the gist of the conversation that took place:

Carol: “What would you like?”
Me: “A double cheeseburger please.”
Carol: “Would you like fries and a drink with that?”
Me: “No thanks.”
Carol: “Ok, that’s €5 please.”
Me: “What?”
Carol: “Yeah it’s cheaper if you get fries and a drink with it.”
Me: “But I don’t want fries and a drink. I just want the burger!”
Carol: “Then that’s €5 please.”
Me: “Well in that case I’ll take a fries and drink but I’ll just throw them in the bin.”
Carol: “What drink would you like?”
Me: “It doesn’t matter because I’m just going to throw it out anyway.”
Carol: “You have to tell me what drink you want.”
Me: “Ok I’ll have a coke please.”
Carol: “Ok that’s €3.50 please.”

I hand over the dosh. Carol hands me a tray with the goods. I pick up the burger and walk away.

Carol (calling after me): “Do you not want your fries?”
Me (over my shoulder): “Give them to someone else!”

The whole episode reminded me of a shop called Fresh in Grand Canal Dock where one can purchase punnets of grapes for €2 each or two for €5. Gas!

Now away with ye...

No comments: