Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dublin Bike Scheme Fail

On Monday night I had my first negative Dublin Bikes experience. Since signing up about a month ago I’ve been a big fan of the scheme. Working from an office on Talbot St with a Dublin Bike Stand right outside my building gives me a lot of scope for running errands around the city on my lunch break. It’s also handy when visiting Aily; I can get off the bus on Leeson St and nip up to her place in Rathmines on a Dublin Bike saving me loads of time.
 
However on Monday night, I took out a Dublin Bike from the stand on Townsend St. By the time I got to Portobello College at 10pm, the stands were completely full up and there was no space left to leave the bike. A quick check of the nearest bike stands revealed that all were at capacity. What the hell was I to do with this Dublin Bike I had been shafted with?
 
As it turns out, I was able to bundle it into the boot of Aily’s Nissan Micra and we drove down to St. Stephen’s Green where there was ample bike parking available. Unfortunately this highlights a shortcoming in the scheme when there are not enough bike spaces to satisfy demand. It will definitely make me think twice about renting a Dublin Bike in the future :(
 
Now away with ye…

No comments: