Sunday, January 15, 2006

Don't go breaking my heart - Karaoke!

After witnessing the thrashing of Glasgow by Leinster I headed for a bus. It was Ali's girlfriend Leonard's birthday and we were celebrating with all you can eat Mongolian BBQ followed by Karaoke. The meeting time was 9pm which was far too later for me to go without a drink and so I met Fi at 7.45 for a few pre-pints. We headed for a couple in the Porter House where we had a serious discussion about life and our future together as travelling buddies. Around 9 it was on to the Mongolian BBQ we went. Everybody else was already there and it was just then I regretted eating before going out. Everyone else was up getting all you can eat and I was left sitting there on my own like a tit. I had to order a couple of samosas to make up for it. After some food, discussion and a 1L Stellas (and wisecracks directed at Ali's haircut or lack thereof) we went on to the Karaoke bar on Exchequer st. We were about an hour earlier for our booked slot at midnight and so availed of the cheap Spanish wine on sale. This was the turning point of the night for Fi and I and I'm still trying to determine if it was in fact a sensible idea. Shortly after midnight we headed down to our pre-booked booth where we were hijacked by a group of middle-aged English tourists. Adopting a sort of "embrace the foreginers" policy we welcomed them with open arms. However, a few minutes later the novelty wore off and we laid it down like it was. One more song then they had to piss off. So out came Mack the Knife and a bloody good version of it too. As soon as he was finished though he was booted out faster than you can say cheesy 50's crooner. Once we had the booth to ourselves we let loose with a rip roaring tribute to 80's and 90's music. Featured songs included Total eclipse of the heart, Boom shake the room, Wake me up before you go go, Bohemian Rhapsody, Copa Cobana and several others. The time flew and after a few calls up to the bar via the wall mounted phone for more cheap wine and that elusive "4th book" it was suddenly 2am. Standing on the street in high spirits we decided to split up with Myself, Fi, Eleanor and Wigs heading for 4 Dame Lane and the others back to Ailbhe's. The memory becomes slightly sketchy from here on in. We managed to make it into 4 Dame Lane even with the unwieldy wine cooler I had pinched from the Karaoke bar. Myself and Fi decided to continue the night's theme of cheap bad wine however after half a glass I realised this wasn't happening for me and abandoned that idea in favour of a reassuring guinness. Fi was slightly displeased at this although she made light work of the entire bottle minus the half glass I had already drunk. Of course after leaving 4 Dame Lane the only logical destination was Iskanders. The kebab went down well and the four of us headed for a nightlink. Three of us made it to Fiona's with Wigs reneging. Shortly after alighting the nightlink in Stillorgan, Fi slipped, fell and cut her knee 5 year old style! It was a proper graze and it hurt Fi as she reminded us again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again! Back at Fi's we ploughed into a few more Heinekens while Fi continuously complained about her sore knee. After suggesting that she clean her knee for the umpteenth time Fi finally took my advice on board. But she didn't clean in the conventional go-to-the-bathroom-wash-it-with-a-piece-of-cotton-wool-and-antiseptic way. No our Fi had to adopt her own drunken method of first aid. This involved standing in her kitchen with one foot in the sink and the other on the ground in her skirt while running the tap over the wound! I can't describe how funny and random this looked. Anyway shortly after that Maria came in from 92 and I had good fun slagging her about her inebriated state from the night before. After a few more beers we crawled into bed around 6.30. The next day saw the best hangover day ever. After Eleanor left myself and Fi headed up to Stillorgan for dvds, MacDonalds, Chips and dip. Arriving back we rooted ourselves firmly underneath a big duvet on Fi's couch with a pint of Coca Cola each. We started watching the first DVD (Guess who starring Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac) but it soon became clear this was not a good film. We decided to embrace it and give it the benefit of the doubt by finding something funny about it but 15 minutes later it was obvious this was not going to happen. The film was shocking and apalling and not even bad enough to laugh at. It was downright miserable and I found myself apologising profusely to Fi for my poor choice of film for the second time this week. Just then Sarah and Nik arrived and so we decided to shlap on the second film - How to lose a guy in 10 days. A chick flick that I'm sorry to say I found surprisingly entertaining and fun. :-$ I was disappointed to have to leave half way through and as such never got to find out the ending. So I headed for the bus with a mild headache and a wine cooler tucked firmly under my arm in anticipation of another long week of college.

Now away with ye...

No comments: